Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Snyirk

This is a new concept for me. I'm going to try to explain a few words from my Shetland dialect, by making verses about these words. Worst of all I'm going to write the verses in English.

In some cases I might get it right, but most likely I'll make a complete gonads of it. This could be a project doomed to failure.

The first word for this treatment is Snyirk:

It's many years since I last heard
the snyrkin of a straining oar,
or the snyirk of a rusty hinge
on  an ill-maintained barn door.

When motors replaced oars
boats fly along so fast,
and that, with well oiled hinges,
means that snyirk is a word of the past.

I'll try to do better with my next verse explaining a Shetland word, so bear with me. Some Shetland words are damned hard to find any way of explaining within the restrictions of the English language.

Yun's aa fir enoo

No comments:

Post a Comment